- Duchesne & Hawthorn Culvert Replacements
Duchesne & Hawthorn Culvert Replacements
Impacted Ward: 7
Design Consultant: George Butler Associates (GBA)
The existing culverts under Hawthorn Ave and Duchesne Drive on Boschert Creek do not adequately convey existing storm water flows and are the cause of frequent flooding of properties upstream of the culverts. The City of St. Charles Comprehensive Stormwater Masterplan identified the flooding issues, and anticipated replacing the existing structures with new Reinforced Concrete Box (RCB) Culverts. The design will include HEC-RAS modeling to determine the actual size and final layout of the culverts for construction. Following completion of construction, the City intends to submit a Letter of Map Revision (LOMR) to FEMA to remove adjacent structures from the floodplain.
Boschert Creek between Hawthorn Ave and Pine Street was identified in the Comprehensive Stormwater Masterplan as widening with bank failures in several locations. Repairs have been attempted with dumped rock. Though not identified in the masterplan, the creek banks between the culverts will also be evaluated to determine whether additional stabilization is needed. The project will include stabilization of the creek banks along this reach by use of grade controls, revetment, native vegetation, etc.
Construction is expected to start on this project in Summer of 2022. During construction, there will be closures in this area.
Duchesne Drive will be closed to through traffic between Park Avenue and Westminister Drive (for no longer than 60 consecutive days). Hawthorn Avenue will be closed to through traffic for up to 120 consecutive days between Park Avenue and Cherry Lane. Detours will be made available for both areas.
The contractor will be required to maintain access for residents at all times. At least one road will be open at all times.
Boschert Creek near between Pine Street and Duchesne, under Hawthorne Avenue.
- Box culverts will be replaced to help with back up during heavy rain.
- New retaining walls will be constructed. Roadway elevation at Hawthorn Avenue will be raised slightly.
- Sanitary sewer and water main will be replaced.
- New 6-foot wide sidewalks added to both sides
- Crews performed soil borings and survey beginning in August 2020.
- Designer submitted Alternatives Analysis report in September 2020 for replacing the culverts.
- Construction expected to begin in Summer 2022.
Construction Project Manager
Design Project Manager