Instructions for obtaining a Residential Sales Permit
A Residential Sales Permit is required for any person, except minors, wishing to visit St. Charles residents “door to door” for the purpose of Residential Sales including, but not limited to:
• Selling or offering to sell any article, service, publication, advertisement, ticket or subscription of any kind for any purpose
Criminal Records Check
A Missouri State Highway Patrol background check is required for all Residential Sales Permits, and permits are only valid for a maximum of 30 days from the date that the background check is completed. Permitted persons are required to re‐apply upon expiration of the license. The Saint Charles records division will not accept Criminal Record checks that were completed more than three (3) days prior to the Residential Sales application.
Failing to obtain/secure a Residential Sales Permit prior to engaging in door‐to‐door Residential Sales can result in fines up to five hundred dollars ($500) and restriction from being able to obtain a Residential Sales Permit for two (2) years from conviction. Please see Saint Charles Code of Ordinance Section 640.140 for more information.
To obtain a Residential Sales Permit, each applicant must apply in‐person at the Saint Charles Police Department Records with the following documents:
1. Proof of a current Business License, obtained from the City of Saint Charles – 1st Floor Collections Department–City Hall, (200 North Second Street, Saint Charles, MO, 63301)
2. A copy of a current sales tax license, issued by the Missouri Department of Revenue, if applicable
3. An official statement (typically on business letterhead) stating that the applicant is authorized to act as a representative of the business, entity or organization named in the application
4. A Criminal Record Check, obtained from the Missouri State Highway Patrol, that has been completed no more than three (3) days prior to application submission