- North Benton Avenue to North Main Storm Drainage
North Benton Avenue to North Main Storm Drainage
Impacted Ward: 1
Design Consultant: Horner & Shifrin
This purpose of the project is to improve stormwater drainage in the neighborhood of Benton Avenue near Mel Wetter Parkway down Barthel Avenue to Third Street, then east to the Missouri River outfall. This project also includes Transit Avenue from North Fifth Street down to Main Street. The floodgate and outfall to the Missouri River will be replaced to serve these two storm sewer improvements. Homes in this neighborhood are subject to flooding due to undersized or substandard storm sewers.
This project will be split into three separate construction projects with different timelines.
Project One: Flood Gate #3 and Storm Sewer Improvements - Missouri River to North Main Street will include construction of a new flood gate structure, detention areas, and storm sewer improvements from the river outfall to and along N Main Street. Construction began in Fall 2020.
Project Two: Storm Sewer and Water Main Improvements at Barthel Ave and Transit Street. Construction is planned to begin in 2021.
Project Three: Storm Sewer and Water Main Improvements at Transit Street from Moore to North Main. Construction is planned for early 2022.
Virtual Road Show
With the passage of Proposition P in 2016, several storm water projects were prioritized across the City. This project will alleviate street and property flooding due to an inadequate storm sewer system.
Learn more through our Virtual Road Show video from 2020:
Neighborhood of Benton Avenue;
Transit Avenue from North 5th Street to Main Street.
Site maps (PDF)
Overall Exhibit with Photos
Construction - Project Manager
- A public open house was held September 12, 2019. Preliminary design plans were approved September 2019.
- Project One is currently under construction.
- Contractor began bringing in equipment in October.
- As of December 2020, crews began installing 72" pipe on river side of the levee.
- As of February 2021, the contractor has installed a cofferdam that will help control the water (a cofferdam is a shoring system that seals and keeps water from infiltrating excavation areas). They will then begin excavating and installing rock so that workers an begin the steelwork and pouring the floor of the floodgate.
- As of March 2021, construction workers have been paving and installing the floodgate structure which will make sure river water will not back up into the storm sewer. Rain during this month slowed down this work.
- June 2021: Workers are grading up the river side of the Katy Trail and installing the new 72" pipes.
- N MAIN CLOSURE: Beginning Monday, July 5th, workers will close 2105 N Main (near DuSable Park) for an undetermined amount of time so they may install a storm sewer structure that will be close to the road. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please seek alternate routes.
- As of October 2021, crews continue constructing the fifth floodgate structure. Installed 48" storm sewer across N Main Street during closure. Project and closures will continue through Fall of 2021.