Dealing with Flood Damage


Flood damage attacks a structure in several different ways. Floodwater damages the materials that the building is constructed of. Mud, silt, and contaminants saturate everything that floodwaters touch, creating a health hazard. And the moisture promotes the growth of mold and mildew. Cleaning up and drying the home or business out completely to correct these three conditions could take several weeks. But unless done thoroughly mold / mildew damage and odors will become long term problems. 

Post-Flood Recovery Steps & Tips

Homeowners with a basic knowledge of construction or electrical repair work may be more familiar with some of these terms or descriptions. For those not so familiar, hiring a contractor is recommended.  Regardless of skill level, this information will still be useful for understanding what needs to be done, what questions to discuss with your contractor, and what jobs you might feel comfortable taking on yourself.

  • While working in or around the residence, follow basic health and safety precautions.
  • Wear sturdy work shoes, pants, long-sleeve shirts, gloves and safety glasses.
  • Assume everything touched by floodwater is contaminated and will need to be disinfected.
  • Wash your hands frequently.
  • Contact your insurance adjustor. EVERYTHING will need to be documented. You will want to proceed promptly but be sure property condition and losses are properly documented before disposing of anything. 
  • Contact Community Development for permits and inspections. Post-flood building inspections may be necessary prior to any reconstruction commencing on the structure (do not remove carpet, cabinets, plumbing, electrical, remove drywall, etc)
  • Call the United Way 211 hotline for resources to assist with housing needs, including cleanup and mold remediation.
  • Call the Salvation Army at 636-240-4969 for cleaning supplies.
  • Missouri Baptist Disaster Relief helps people with cleanup. Call 573-556-0331 or 636-215-9246.
  • If you are in need of a food pantry, contact Sts. Joachim and Ann Care Service at 636-441-1302. Other helpful organizations include Harvester Christian Church ( 

Flood Damage Permit Requirements

As a property owner following recent flooding, residents and business owners must obtain local permits before repairing or rebuilding flood-damaged structures. These permits are required as part of local government participation in the National Flood Insurance Program. If you are not in a regulatory floodplain, permits may still be required.

Special conditions apply to substantially damaged buildings (those in which the total cost of repairs is 50% or more of the structure's pre-flood market value). If a building is found to be substantially damaged and in a regulatory floodplain, regulations require that repairs do not begin until compliance with local floodplain ordinance is demonstrated. 

Under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), the Increased Cost of Compliance or ICC program may provide additional financial assistance up to $30,000 to either elevate or remove flood damaged structures from the floodplain.  Owners who have NFIP insurance coverage are eligible to receive ICC benefits if the local official determines that their structure is located in the floodplain has been substantially damaged by a flood.

Property owners, residents and business owners located in a regulatory floodplain and with flood-damaged buildings should contact John Boyer, Planning Manager/Floodplain Administrator at 636-949-3222 or via email at for more information on inspections, repair and floodplain development permits.

Helpful Documents